Not later than the 4th century AH, there used to be a port and a small village in the suburbs of Bandar Abbas called Suroo. In 1514 the Portuguese selected this little village to disembark goods from the land.
They named the land Comorao or Gamarou due to the presence of lobsters and crabs on its beaches.The next common name Gumbroon is most probably derived from Gamarao which is Portuguese.
In 1622 AD Shah Abbas could defeat Portuguese troops with the help of British troops. In honor of this victory Gumbroon was renamed Bandar Abbas.
At the current division, Bandar Abbas is the capital of Hormozgan province and one of the most important, strategic and commercial centers in the vicinity of the Persian Gulf and Oman Sea.